8/18/12

Embryo's by number

ok, here we go the first fertilization call this morning and here are the numbers: We started with 6 frozen eggs, 5 survived thaw, 4 fertilized. 4 embryos . FOUR.  Four is my absolute favorite number.  I almost had a roman numeral four tattooed on my wrist in July (4 sisters in this familiy) but instead I now have "sisters" on my wrist which is just as special to me.  I use a four in ever password I create, it's just a FANTASTIC number. 

I'm trying to be cautious with my excitement because there are 2-4 days left for lab fertilization and anything can happen.  For those who haven't read countless blogs on the topic here are the cliff notes.
Our eggs were frozen so they went through a thaw process on friday afternoon.  Only 5 survived that process.  Of the 5 that survived only 4 made it through the fertilization process.  We used ICSI which is a process where the egg wall is stripped and the sperm are "washed" and directly injected into the egg.
Now we just pray that the embryo's continue to grow and every day we will get a call with an update.  My nurse sounded very excited about having 4 and since our clinic/agreement promises 2 high quality embryo's we have some security in knowing that if the number goes below 2 we have a chance to do this all again to get more Embryo's.   Next comes a grading system, it was too early to grade the embryo's but I should expect to hear about their grades over the next couple days.  See here....


What is Embryo Grading?
Assigning a grade to each embryo to identify the best quality embryos that are then selected for embryo transfer or cryopreservation.  Selection criteria or grading systems must be applied for all cleavage stages from day 2-4 to allow selection of the most viable embryos. Embryo development is evaluated approximately every 24 h. Slow dividing, non-dividing (arrested) or fragmenting embryos are selected against. Compacting embryos on day 3 that have closely apposed cell membranes are selected for.

The quality of each embryo is assessed using the following grading system:
Grade A: Even, equally sized spherical cells (blastomeres) with no cellular fragmentation.
Grade B: Embryos have uneven or irregularly shaped blastomeres, and less than 10% fragmentation of blastomeres.
Grade C: Embryos have up to 25% fragmentation. Blastomeres appear viable (although may be granular).
Grade D: Embryos have 25-50 % fragmentation. Blastomeres appear viable (although may be granular).
Grade E: Embryos are considered non-viable with lysed, contracted or dark blastomeres.

In selecting embryos for an embryo transfer, one normally chooses the most viable embryos, those that are rapidly (or normally) dividing with little if any fragmentation. Therefore, those embryos that have reached the most advanced developmental stage and have the least cellular fragmentation (Grades "A" and/or "B") are selected for transfer. 
-taken from http://www.fertile.com


So on Sunday they may decide they want to perform the transfer on Monday but if not I'll be scheduled for Wednesday.  They told me I can plan for Wednesday but I'll know more tomorrow!  I'll try to write again tomorrow after the fertilization call.  Please pray, cross fingers, send love to our 4 embryo's.  

side note: I can't believe this is all happening.  A year ago I posted this on facebook that I felt alone in a dark corner with little hope.  I do not feel the same today, I have so much hope and so much love ready to give. 

3 comments:

Hattie said...

This is all good news!! Fingers crossed for a great transfer this week.

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

4 certainly is a fantastic number! I'm sending those embies all the good vibes I've got!